Friday, December 7, 2012

Decor: Stringed Popcorn


For several years of my childhood, my parents took the easy route when it came to trees and tree decorating. In the late 1980s, my parents purchased an enormous (and painfully prickly) fake tree, and for several years we decorated it in the same way: random bulbs given as gifts, handmade ornaments from my siblings and my elementary grades, singing light bulbs, and garish sparkly red tinsel. The tree was a mess. So when my parents finally succumbed to my sister and my complaints and we started chopping down our own fresh, real trees I knew then was the time for a big move. I grabbed that garish tinsel from our box of Christmas decorations, and I told my mom that it was not, in any way whatsoever, going on our tree.

Now, let me be fair, the tinsel wasn’t that bad—you could even call it pretty—I just despise tinsel on trees. For some reason or other, I see tinsel on a tree and I think, “Trying too hard.” It just takes away too much from the natural beauty of the tree. I’d rather wrap that sparkly puff string around our banister, or line the fireplace with it, than use it to overdress a perfectly stunning tree. But a tree with only lights can be a little too plain.

That year (and ever since) my mother and I compromised by performing a classic and simple DIY tree decoration: stringed popcorn. It’s a modest but quaint way of dressing up a tree while adding a homemade, cozy touch. I’ve recently gotten into adding a bit of flair to the popcorn by using fresh cranberries for a pop of color on the string. This is a simple, yet fun holiday tradition to involve the whole family with—only, turn on a favorite Christmas film before you start so that the time passes by more quickly.

The Shopping List
1 Bag Fresh Cranberries
4 qts Popcorn (you may need more to eat as you string)
Fishing Line
Needles
Scissors  

Start by cutting a long string of fishing line. How much you need really depends on your tree size, but I say at least 15-20 feet will be needed. You can choose to cut smaller sections of string (at least 5 ft a string), and overlay them on the tree so that they look like they run together (as you would do with lights…or tinsel).

Tie off one end in a quadruple knot. This helps to ensure a secure end that nothing will slip off of. Thread your needle using the opposite end of the line. Begin stringing popcorn by gently poking through the popcorn and pulling the popcorn toward the line. Tip: Sometimes while stringing the popcorn can split, resulting in a lot of wasted effort. Determining where to poke through the popcorn is essential. Never try to poke through the brown kernel, and always try to go through a substantial amount of the puffy white bit. Avoid creases in the popcorn as well, because they’re weaker spots. If there are any naturally occurring holes, use them to your benefit, they tend to be secure.



String popcorn and cranberries however you desire. For this line, I did a rotation of two popcorn pieces for every cranberry, but you can be as random or creative as you want. Want buttery looking popcorn? Sprinkle your bowl with turmeric and mix. Want more variation? Get mini marshmallows in different colors and string them as well. Just have fun with this festive DIY!


After your string is complete, tie off end in another quadruple knot and hang on tree. We don’t have our tree yet, so for now I’ll hang it on me (for this photo at least).



18 Days Until Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment