Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Gift: Earring Picture Frames



I know I promised some carmel corn recipes, but I actually plan on using the carmel corn tin as a gift for a Christmas party I’m attending later this week. And since I want to avoid handing out stale carmel corn, I’m going to procrastinate making that DIY for a few more days.

Don’t despair though, because today I’m going to show you how to make an affordable, and artsy chic gift for a friend: a frame to hang your earrings in.

The Shopping List:
Paint in Choice of Colors (I used Acrylic)
Lace fabric (optional)
Old Pictures Frames (I purchased mine from the Goodwill for $1.99 ea.)
Staple Gun
Screening
Paintbrush

Begin by removing all backing/glass from the frame. If you want to have the earring frames hung on a wall, make sure you find frames that have that already set up for you (because it’s easier that way). Another fun idea is to use a frame that has a stand. If this is the case, just remove glass from frame.


Repaint your frame! This will require a few coats for an even finish (I did three). Make sure you allow the paint to dry after every coat. Note: I did this in both blue and silver, the silver covered much more quickly than the blue, and dried faster as well. The print I made also showed up better on the silver frame. (See below).

Once frames are completely dry, lay lace material over frame and carefully paint over lace in contrasting color. Immediately remove lace and continue print on other sides. My lace design didn’t turn out quite as I desired, partly because the frames I was using had ridges on them, but I still like the almost tarnished effect the frames now have with the occasional flower design. Allow paint to dry overnight.

Cut out screen a little larger than needed for frame. Place over backside of frame and pull tightly as you staple around the edges. You want as taut of a screen as possible to provide extra support for the earrings. Trim excess screening and you’re done!





You could either give the frames as is, or add a cute pair of earrings (already in the frame, of course) to the gift.

13 Days Until Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment