Monday, December 17, 2012

Treat: Holiday Eggnog


 My family is somewhat unusual in the fact that the majority of us actually enjoy the taste of eggnog (and fruit cake…I know, we’re weird). In fact, one of my favorite things about December is the absolute glut of eggnog I consume in my coffee. So imagine my joy when my father let on that we actually had a family recipe for eggnog, but that he had just never made it in my memorable lifetime.  Now take that joy and mix it with a little bit of the exasperation I felt toward him when I found out just how easy the recipe was to make! What you have now is the perfect recipe for me writing a DIY on Holiday Eggnog. (You also have a very cheesy recipe inspired introduction, but you’re going to be very gracious with me about that because it’s the holiday season…right?)


 The Shopping List: (for one quart)
6 Fresh Eggs
1 cup White Sugar
1 qt. Heavy Cream (see note)
2-3 Tbs. Rum or Rum Flavoring
Nutmeg to Taste (I suggest using at least 1 ½ tbs. though)

Begin by whisking eggs together until they’re nice and foaming, but not peeking.

Whisk in sugar. Our family recipe says until the mixture is thick and has a lemony color…but that’s about a cup, so…

Add cream, rum, and nutmeg and whisk.  Check taste to see if you want to adjust anything (nutmeg, rum, etc.), and chill if desired.
 
It’s finished. So simple! I topped my father’s (I can’t drink eggnog straight), with some whipped cream, a splash of rum, and a sprinkling of nutmeg.

It’s snowing here in Washington…Keep warm, readers. =)

Note: If you’re like me and your stomach is too weak for the heaviness of eggnog, you can do a number of things to still be able to enjoy this wintry treat. If you prefer your eggnog plain, simply use a blend of half heavy cream, half a lower fat milk (I cut mine with soy milk because I’m semi-lactose intolerant). How I typically enjoy mine is by pouring about ¼ cup into my morning coffee. The coffee thins out the heaviness perfectly. Another way to cut the heaviness, for a more adult version, would be to add a bunch more rum to the mixture. The ratio would have to be to your own liking, so start off with a glass of eggnog and slowly add the rum until you’ve reached your desired consistency/flavor. Enjoy!

8 Days Until Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment